Greetings.  I have been a Ham since January 1972 and Extra Class since 1992.  

I live in Nicholson, Georgia, about 12 miles north of Athens. I like Amateur Radio, guns, gardening, woodworking, metalworking, photography and playing around with Arduino and Raspberry Pi.
My favorite operating mode is CW and you can often find me operating with the nice people of SKCC (Straight Key Century Club).

Here are some of my latest projects:

I Google searched "WT4Y" and came across this coffee mug on After a little research, I discovered that The Wellcome Trust is a biomedical research charity based in London, United Kingdom. It was established in 1936 with legacies from the pharmaceutical magnate Sir Henry Wellcome to fund research to improve human and animal health.  Apparently they fund 4 year PhD programs in various fields of research called Wellcome Trust 4 Year or WT4Y.

Here is my latest project, a Bug Catcher antenna that will be attached to our new Winnebago Micro RV. All my projects evolve as I develop them so here is my project from inception to now. No telling what it will look like when it's complete.

Originally I planned to create the coil by turning threads on a 2 inch piece of PVC. I spent an entire day prepping my el-cheapo 9x20 Chinese lathe and building a jig to hold the pipe. The coarsest threads I can turn are 8 T.P.I. and here is the result. For scale, this pipe is 12 inches long.

After a little research, I discovered that I would need to attach some kind of clips to the turns of wire to tune for each band. I always start a project and do the research later so it makes for a more interesting journey. I decided to slice and dice my threaded pipe and glue the grooved strips to another piece a pipe, leaving a little space to attach clips. This also makes the coil diameter a little larger.

I turned down two, 2" x 3/4" NPT PVC fittings so I could glue them to the inside of the 2 inch pipe so I wouldn't have to add a PVC coupler. 

I did a couple of test windings to check for inductance with my MFJ-259B antenna analyzer. I found that at 8 T.P.I., the wires were so close, attaching a clip would be problematic, and at 4 T.P.I. (skipping a groove between windings), I couldn't get the inductance I needed. The next step was to go with a bigger diameter coil.

So here is my latest design. I designed and printed (transparent PETG) coil spacers and wire supports that slide around the outside of a 2 inch PVC pipe. In this photo there are three spacers and eight wire supports. The wire supports are numbered and glued to the spacers in a specific order so that the coil windings will smoothly follow the grooves in the supports. The coil spacers are 100 mm in diameter, the wire supports are 150 mm long, and the grooves are 6 T.P.I. If this thing actually works, I'll publish the STL files on Thingiverse. The tube of glue shown here is what I had in my closet and it seems to adhere to the PETG and PVC. Once the coil is wound, I doubt the parts will move around.